When users delete mail, I want it to be moved to Trash.

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Oct 21 16:25:42 EDT 2002

On 21 Oct 2002, Erik Enge wrote:

> Besides, just think of the extra hardware resources I would need.
> Storing double copies would require extra SCSI disks (and thus a new
> casing) and I would have to change my backup schema.  No, I shouldn't
> have to store it all twice.  It's stored just fine the way it is.  I
> just need to make users not able to remove it.

No, this is one advantage of single instance store.  Just be careful about
where you are putting the extra data (on the same partition as the user's
inbox) and it will only cost you extra inodes, not extra space).

> What about a site with 10.000 users and terrabytes of mail?  Would you
> suggest to them that they also save everything twice?  And if not, and
> if such a site would be interested in Cyrus, would the answer be "sorry,
> can't help you"?

I'd love to hear about 10,000 users with multiple terabytes of mail,
especially if you are manageing that much with Cyrus. ;)

Actually, the response would probably be something closer to, "we're not
interested in developing that for ourselves, but we're willing to talk
about funded development."

> Well, the reason something needs to be solved it because Cyrus won't let
> me do this.  Had it let me do this (enforce a no-delete policy) there
> wouldn't be anything to solve.  Cyrus introduces the problem so it
> should be the one to fix it.

Failing to provide a feature that no one has ever asked for (until now)
isn't "creating a problem."

In fact, I'm not totally sure how we'd go about implementing exactly what
you want anyway, since moving messages in response to a STORE \Deleted
command is totally nonstandard.  The best I could come up with for now is
moving them offline on an EXPUNGE but not actually deleting the data.

-Rob

Rob Siemborski * Andrew Systems Group * Cyert Hall 207 * 412-268-7456
Research Systems Programmer * /usr/contributed Gatekeeper