When users delete mail, I want it to be moved to Trash.

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Oct 21 16:24:41 EDT 2002

Erik Enge wrote:

> Rob Siemborski <rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>
> > Okay, I think you're trying to solve the problem the wrong way.  If
> > you need a record of every email that has ever passed through your
> > company, can't you just have the MTA save a record of it without
> > inconveinencing your users with managing their mail how they see fit?
>
> I could, but that would introduce new hassles.  I want the users to be
> able to get to all their mail, by themselves, if they need to.  If I
> saved it like that, I would have to make that mail available through
> some other protocol (one that one ensure that they could not delete it -
> so IMAP and POP would be right out) - which is more administration
> hassle.
>
> No, I think I am trying to solve it correctly.  Cyrus stores my data and
> Cyrus is the one that will not allow me to manage that data they way I
> see fit.
>
> Besides, just think of the extra hardware resources I would need.
> Storing double copies would require extra SCSI disks (and thus a new
> casing) and I would have to change my backup schema.  No, I shouldn't
> have to store it all twice.  It's stored just fine the way it is.  I
> just need to make users not able to remove it.
>
> What about a site with 10.000 users and terrabytes of mail?  Would you
> suggest to them that they also save everything twice?  And if not, and
> if such a site would be interested in Cyrus, would the answer be "sorry,
> can't help you"?
>
> > This doesn't sound like a problem that Cyrus can or even should try to
> > solve.
>
> Why not?  It must be something either I or you are overlooking.  To me
> this is as simple as: Cyrus will not allow me to manage the data it
> stores the way I want it managed.  You seem to be saying that this is
> not a responsability of Cyrus.
>
> Well, the reason something needs to be solved it because Cyrus won't let
> me do this.  Had it let me do this (enforce a no-delete policy) there
> wouldn't be anything to solve.  Cyrus introduces the problem so it
> should be the one to fix it.

Cyrus hasn't introduced any such problem.  You are the first to make
such a claim.  I'd argue along with the rest that this functionality has
no place in the server.

Cyrus allows you to set the access control with a variety of ACLs.  It
will NOT (nor should it) let you merge the functionality of two or more
IMAP commands.

As I see it you have three choices:

1. Ask for your money back.

2. Go find another server that does what you want.

3. Take the source code and mangle it yourself.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127