When users delete mail, I want it to be moved to Trash.

Fabian Fagerholm fabbe at paniq.net
Mon Oct 21 15:46:24 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 22:13, Erik Enge wrote:
[...]
> With Cyrus, this does not seem to be the case.  It's my data and it's my
> hardware and still I cannot tell the users how I want business to be
> conducted on my systems.  I think this is a bug.  Cyrus should let me
> hook into it in some way so that I can use it in ways the authors never
> expected me to.

The source code is available, just go ahead and implement whatever you
like.

> I cannot believe this (no-delete) is not the policy for most corporate
> users of Cyrus.  For legal and other reasons, keeping mail around is
> vital.

Are you kidding? Most legal concerns are with *keeping* deleted data
*deleted*. A number of corporate clients have been asking for an
expiring filesystem that would automatically and permanently erase files
older than a certain time.

You could be doing your users major harm by not keeping what they
deleted, deleted. Not to mention that you could be violating a number of
laws, depending on where you live.

> Configuring all the clients (Outlook, Outlook Express, Gnus,
> Mozilla, KMail and Evolution) to move stuff into Trash whenever it is
> deleted (which not all of them do by default - and some even EXPUNGE by
> default) turns into a major administration hassle.

If you have to maintain workstations for a number of users, you should
set a client policy - ie. you should choose a client that works for you.

If you want to let the users choose, then the responsibility is theirs.

> I want to hinder the users in deleting the mail from the server.  Is
> that such an unreasonable request?

Remove the appropriate flags from the appropriate mailboxes. You can
make a Perl script that logs in for each user and sets the flags as you
like them.

I suspect your users will soon complain loudly, however. Instead of
trying to do strange things and redefining the Delete function in your
users' clients, you should teach your users not to press Delete when
they don't mean to.

Then, have fresh backups available.

Cheers,
Fabian