configure --without-krb fails, looking for Kerberos

Mika Iisakkila mika.iisakkila at pingrid.fi
Tue Oct 29 08:50:22 EST 2002

Ian McDonald wrote:
>>Try using "--with-auth=unix" instead of --without-des
> Does this bit of the manual mean that if I do not want to store
> authorization information in /etc/passwd, because the mailbox users have
> nothing to do with the unix users, I need to use Kerberos?

--with-auth=unix only implies that group lookups are done through
/etc files. User authentication doesn't go to /etc/passwd, unless you
actually want to use such a method.

If you're interested, I have a small patch to disable /etc/passwd
and /etc/group lookups from imap 2.1.9 completely (you lose
group functionality with that). I needed it to prevent
sasl1/sasl2 conflicts and subsequent crashes through libnss_ldap.
Anyway, in a normal setup you can just forget about all this and
specify --with-auth=unix. Other methods, like auxprop+sasldb,
will still work without having to add the users in /etc.

--mika