autocreatequota - does it really work?

Lawrence Greenfield leg+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Nov 14 14:33:41 EST 2002

   Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:16:41 -0800 (PST)
   From: Jonathan Marsden <jonathan at bach.xc.org>
[...]
   The name of the option is potentially confusing, in that the desired
   mailbox is not 100% *automatically* created.  Rather, it is only
   created when the new user logs in and issues a CREATE INBOX command.
   I initially thought the INBOX would be created at login.

Right, it turns out because of the way CMU phased in Cyrus & phased
out our legacy e-mail system (AMS) this was the desired
behavior. Users ran a program, "convertmail", that created their inbox
and uploaded their mail---and until they ran that, we didn't want
INBOXs to be created.

This probably isn't the desired behavior at almost any other site.

Larry