Thoughts on the age-old cyradm thingie

Mika Iisakkila mika.iisakkila at pingrid.fi
Thu Nov 21 17:45:58 EST 2002

Jay Levitt wrote:

> Thinking further about this, I no longer like my idea of a
> separate --perl-prefix configure option, because if I do
> "configure --prefix=/home/jay", I should reasonably expect that nothing is
> being installed into sitewide libraries.

You're right there. Getting cyradm and the perl libraries to compile
(and run) has been the single biggest pain in the ass I've had
with the entire package -- so much that we had to ditch cyradm
completely and use IMAP::Admin from CPAN. The C callback stuff is just
too hard to compile correctly unless you also compile Perl itself,
and makes it really difficult to keep Cyrus and everything
in a simple self-contained package you'd be able to drop on a
different machine from where you actually compiled it.

--mika