lock_unlock() problem?

DAVID G MCMURTRIE dgm+ at pitt.edu
Thu Nov 21 16:48:51 EST 2002

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Lawrence Greenfield wrote:

> Yeah, it's highly unlikely that this is the cause of your problem. Usually
> this is due to a client hanging in an unexpected place and the server
> hasn't even tried to remove it's lock.
>
> I'm surprised that Unix is allowed to return EINTR here on a local
> filesystem and it is something we should check.

In this case, the fact that it's an operation on a local filesystem is
somewhat irrelevant.  If the process catches a signal during the execution
of the fcntl() system call, the system call will fail and errno will be
set to EINTR.  The unwanted side effect is that the unlock operation will
have failed and the application won't know about it.

Thank you for looking into this, though.  It's appreciated.

Dave
--
Dave McMurtrie, Systems Programmer
University of Pittsburgh