Skiplist / best practice for 2.1 branch

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Mon Nov 18 21:49:45 EST 2002

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Patrick Boutilier wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> >For Linux:
> >  1. Heavily tested and debugged AND patched BerkeleyDB 3.2, stay away from
> >     4.x for now.
>
> I tried those stability patches and they didn't help. The only thing

They are NOT supposed to help your problem, except for the lock timeout
patches.  Did you apply those?  They will NOT fix the issue, but at least
the lmtps would die out far faster when deadlocked, thus reducing the
problem a bit.

> that stopped lmtp from hanging was switching from db3_nosync to
> skiplist. What are the advantages of using db3_nosync over skiplist?

Your problem is inside the Berkeley DB environment, and deadlocking.
No stability patch will help that...  there IS a reason I recommend DB 3.2,
and a reason why Debian didn't really bother switching to DB 4 yet.

  Henrique Holschuh