BAD ACL Behavior

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Nov 25 09:17:36 EST 2002

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Alessandro Oliveira wrote:

> When user X that has right to delete shared folders and delete a shared
> folder,  ordinary users that used to access that folder (lrs rights)
> start to see the user X in the "Other Users" namespace, because they
> still can access that folder even though it is in the user.X.Trash.FOLDER.

I'd argue that this is totally bogus behavior that doesn't fit well
withing the IMAP paradigm, and that the client should be responsible for
ensuring that its implementation doesn't provide undesired effects anyway
(the proper way to delete a folder is to issue a DELETE command, not a
RENAME as I expect is the case here).

> I think that the correct behavior would be to a copied FOLDER inherit
> permissons from the new parent. Is this a bug ?

Well, another perfectly valid argument is to say that the copied (well,
renamed) folder keeps its ACL, since RFC2086 doesn't say one way or the
other.

-Rob

Rob Siemborski * Andrew Systems Group * Cyert Hall 207 * 412-268-7456
Research Systems Programmer * /usr/contributed Gatekeeper