Changing databases at runtime

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Tue Nov 26 03:05:38 EST 2002

Jonathan Marsden schrieb:

> On 25 Nov 2002, Rob Siemborski writes:
>
> > On 25 Nov 2002, Erik Enge wrote:
>
> >> I wouldn't rate it as easy unless it was a config option at
> >> run-time, not an option to configure at compile-time.
>
> > This wouldn't be tremendously hard to do (probably just a matter of
> > replacing some macros with some code that is a bit more clever), but
> > there'd be a (small) performance penalty and there isn't really any
> > intrest in doing it, since converting databases shouldn't be a
> > common operation anyway.
>
> This is in part a packaging and upgrading issue, though.  Especially
> when the recomended default choices for what databases within Cyrus
> are in what form seem to change over time, and that this may get
> 'worse' as new backends are implemented, the ability to build a
> compiled version of Cyrus that could find and use whatever database
> format it can see (or failing that, whatever database some separate
> utility can see and then edit into the config files), would probably
> help reduce the "I upgraded Cyrus to the latest package, and
> everything broke" type of posts -- which in some cases have reportedly
> led to users giving up on Cyrus altogether.

At least my RPM packages do exactly this. I have put much effort in
creating packages which have build time options for DB backends and DB
conversion is performed automagically on the fly while
installing/upgrading/restarting. I didn't get any feedback until now
about this feature so I expect it works for most people :)
If it doesn't work, let me know.

Simon