Mailbox directory structure

Jonathan Marsden jonathan at bach.xc.org
Tue Nov 26 13:41:53 EST 2002

On 26 Nov 2002, John Lederer writes:

> When I looked at the mailbox structure of our test group I found
> some disconcerting variance.  Some users had a directory named
> INBOX, some did not.  ...

> In any event we want a consistent mailbox structure that supports
> Moxilla's "special" Sent, Drafts, and Templates diretcories. We want
> to standardize, but we are not sure what to standardize on.

> Can someone tell me what the preferred structure is, particularly
> for Mozilla?

A mailbox called "INBOX" visible as a file in your filesystem on your
Cyrus IMAP server is probably a mistake of some sort, often (based on
experience here at least) relating to either the choice of hierarchy
separator or default folder prefix.

We use the following cyradm commands (for a user named fred and with
unixhiersep set to yes):

  cm user/fred
  cm user/fred/Drafts
  cm user/fred/Sent
  cm user/fred/Templates

or their equivalent IMAP commands.

The "INBOX" is created by the first of these commands.  If you have
altnamespace turned on, Outlook users will be happier, because they
will see a folder structure that is closer to the Outlook norms when
used with Exchange Server.

Jonathan