Backing up db directory

Lawrence Greenfield leg+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Dec 26 00:08:26 EST 2002

--On Tuesday, December 10, 2002 4:35 PM -0500 Jay Levitt
<jay-cyrus at shopwatch.org> wrote:

> Am I correct in assuming that the "db" directory doesn't need to be backed
> up - in fact should not be backed up - and I should instead be backing up
> the db.backup1 and db.backup2 dirs and using reconstruct to recreate db
> itself?

The "db.backup1" and "db.backup2" dirs are created by obeying Sleepycat's
recommendations on backing up Berkeley db to prepare for possible
catastrophic recovery. If you have to restore everything from backup, using
the latest clean version of the db.backup's is safer than trying to use the
db/ directory as your backup software grabbed them (since your backup
software might not have done it in the correct order).

Backup and disaster recovery (and really our interaction with Berkeley db
as a whole) are things that need to be better documented.

Larry