cyrus 2.2 status

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Dec 18 09:51:06 EST 2002

Jonathan Marsden wrote:

> On 13 Dec 2002, Jure Pecar writes:
>
> > On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 20:31:41 -0500 Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> wrote:
>
> >> I addition to what Rob already mentioned, there needs to be more
> >> work done on documenting the virtdomain support and tying some
> >> loose ends.
>
> > Yes, virtdomains are actually the #1 thing i'm interested in cyrus
> > 2.2 ...  I'm sure there are more people interested, so i think it
> > would be nice to provide either a stable, known working cvs branch
> > of 2.2 or a patch with a backport of virtdomains stuff to 2.1. I'm
> > willing to help here, just give me some directions.
>
> I would also very much like to see this happen.  To get Red Hat 7.x
> RPMs of cyrus-imapd with virtdomain support, I grabbed the CVS for 2.2
> as of late September and turned it ito RPMs and since then I have
> stuck with that.  I'm about to resync with CVS again to pick up the
> recent security fixes.  But I'd be more comfortable with using a
> somewhat supported (or at least officially labelled!) version of the
> codebase.
>
> The issue on when releases happen seems to me to be that CMU has its
> own priorities, and tends to stick to them.  Which is absolutely fine,
> and probably the right thing for them to do.  The result is that, even
> if a backport patch of the virtdomain code to 2.1.x happens, I'm not
> sure it would really help in the supportedness/officialness stakes,
> since CMU would not be using it :-)
>
> So it may be that until CMU finds an internal need for something that
> is in 2.2 but not in 2.1, there's little anyone else can do to get
> virtdomain support "more official" than it just being there in CVS.

Its not a matter of CMU needing/using virtdomain support.  CMU is not
using altnamespace or unixhiersep stuff in 2.1, and that was released.
What gets developed has a lot to do with what CMU needs/wants, but
releases are usually based on code quality/stability and time.  2.2 has
a lot of other changes (NNTP support, new config option architecture,
config options for stuff in lib/, restructured ANNOTATEMORE code, etc)
which need more testing and documentation.

IIRC, Rob is targeting some time in mid/late January for a 2.2.0
release.

> So the question becomes: what, if anything can non-CMU people do that
> would help cause a release of 2.2 (or 2.1 with virtdomains in it??) to
> happen sooner rather than later?

2.1 w/virtdomain definitely won't happen, at least not "officially"
without some kind of incentive to do so.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127