Return-path header control

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Tue Dec 17 11:28:23 EST 2002

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Oleg Derevenetz wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> >Well, this Return-path issues got me thinking a bit about the issue...
> >
> >I could write code to add a configuration option to Cyrus so that it
> >has two methods to deal with return-path:
> >
> >1. Override (should be the default one): trash any return-path headers
> >   in the message, and add ours (from -r or MAIL FROM:)
> >2. Add:  Add our return-path header _if_ there ins't already one in there.
> >   Messages with more than one return-path header are in error.
>
> I think that second behaviour must be by default.

I will follow CMU's judgment on this one.  You do understand that if you use
(2), you must have one MTA in your administrative domain that kills all
possibly-illegal return-paths?   Adding one is optional, but you must not
let false ones through.

So (1) is a safer default, AND it is compatible to what Cyrus tries to do
right now. (2) is to be used by people that know what they're doing, and
need a MTA to do the return-path creation beforehand due to envelope
rewriting, or somesuch.

> >Also, should messages with multiple return-paths be flagged as illegal? The
> >RFCs seem to imply that only _one_ return-path header is allowed.  Doing
> >this could cause severe headaches for people with spools with broken emails
> >with more than one (which I think is a fairly common problem).
>
> No, they shouldn't.

Why?  I would like answers a bit more elaborate than that, please.

  Henrique Holschuh