secure pop with Cyrus IMAP4 v1.5.19

Michael Fair michael at daclubhouse.net
Tue Aug 27 14:18:58 EDT 2002

Upgrade to the cyrus21 packages from Sid.

All comes straight out of the box then.

If you aren't sure how to do that their
are a couple ways.
1) Add a deb-src line pointing sid and do an
apt-get update
apt-cache show cyrus21
then apt-get source cyrus21 (et al.)
cd cyrus21 (et al.)
dpkg-buildpackage
cd ..
dpkg -i cyrus21*.deb

2) Put 'Apt::Default-Release "stable";'
into /etc/apt/apt.conf
Then add a normal deb line pointing to sid
(you should have both a stable(woody) and
unstable(sid) line in your /etc/apt/sources.list)
apt-get update
apt-get install crus21

The Apt::Default-Release line will pin your
distribution to that version of Debian.  By
default all packages will be grabbed from
there.  If a package can't be found there it
will then take them from wherever the most
advanced version is.  This sometimes forces
you to use the "-t unstable" flag to apt-get
in order to resolve dependancy problems (i.e.
the package in unstable requires a more recent
package of what's in stable so it can't install
because it only sees the stable package
available to it).

Check out the Debian archives or IRC channels
for more help on the topic.  I provided this as
a general outline to help those who just needed
a few hints to get over some of those Debian
specific hurdles.

NOTE: Cyrus 2.x will never be in Woody.  The next
stable release will be Sarge, and if history is an
indicator it will come out ~2007.  The Cyrus
community for the most part has been dealing with
the 2.x series for some time now and 1.x doesn't
really seem to be supported anymore.

Good luck and Happy Hacking!
-- Michael --