duplicate suppression, sieve, loops, redirect and lost email

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Aug 28 19:12:42 EDT 2002

Quoting Ragnar Sundblad <ragge at nada.kth.se>:

> Hello all,
>
> Excuse me if I could have found the answers to those questions
> on my own. I actually _have_ searched the list archives and the
> web, but only got more questions. This subject seems to have
> been partly discussed before.
>
> We are using duplicate suppression and sieve.
>
> When people do a sieve
>  redirect "<myself>@<mydomain>" (that is, to themselves)
> the email gets sent into the smtp world again, received again
> and duplicate suppressions just silently discards the email
> as has been discussed before.
>
> This is obviously now what people want, and it is also
> obviously very bad to loose email.

The message in question does not get lost.  It has already been delivered to
the recipient once.

> I have read that a sieve script could possible cause an
> infinite mail loop if used without duplicate suppression,
> and therefor you need to turn on duplicate suppression if
> you are using sieve. When would that happen?

It shouldn't.  With any recent Cyrus release (2.1.3+ ?) you can disable
duplicate suppression and still have support for sieve.

I _am_ curious what a sane reason for redirecting an email to one's self is.

> What I would rather assume would happen is that the email
> would loop until sendmail (or whatever mta you are using)
> returns it due to exceeded hop count. Is this not so?

It shouldn't get to this point.

> We are using another machine as a front end mail distrubutor,
> maybe that makes things different for us, but my simple
> experiments and my maybe bad analysis indicates not.
>
> /ragge

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127