Cyrus - Upgrading flat mail to DB3

Matthew Tagg matt at webafrica.co.za
Thu Aug 29 10:18:49 EDT 2002

Wow, speedy and helpful reply? Whats the catch here folks?? :)

> On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Matthew Tagg wrote:
>
> > I have installed a clean install of Cyrus 2.1.7.
>
> I urge you to use 2.1.8 instead.

Will do. I use Simon Matter's excellent RPM/SRPM install base.
http://home.teleport.ch/simix/ Always updated. Clean page :)

> > I tried copying over the raw files ../user/test/ etc. However I
> > noticed version 2 stores them in alpabetic directories. I tried
> > putting them in the root of /var/lib/imap/user/ and in
> > /var/lib/imap/user/t - however it doesnt find them
>
> It only uses alphabetic directories for the mail spool if you set
> hashimapspool: t

Kewl, will give it a hash (lame)

> > From the install help doc: "Warning:  Cyrus imapd 2.0 will
> > automatically convert on-disk file formats as the server is
> used. " -
> > I wish it would.
>
> It will convert the index and header files.  You need to convert the
> mailbox list yourself.

But what about all the other files (the msgs)?

user/test/1.
user/test/2.
user/test/3.
 etc etc

My understanding is that it was meant to gather them all up and store
them in a DB.

> > Then I discovered something called "cvt_cyrusdb" which is meant to
> > allow converting between backends but I dont know what to
> give for its
> > parameters.
>
> Strictly speaking, you shouldn't need to do anything with cvt_cyrusdb
> unless you are specifying non-default backends for any of the
> databases
> (you might want to consider skiplist for your mailbox list
> database, but
> the mailbox list database can still be converted using
> ctl_mboxlist -d and
> ctl_mboxlist -u anyway).
>
> > I tried:
> > 	bash-2.05a$ /usr/libexec/cyrus/cvt_cyrusdb
> > 	/var/lib/imap/user/webafrica/ flat db3 /var/lib/imap/db/
>
> This isn't working because your paramater order is screwed
> up, you should
> read the manpage (and specify an exact file to convert).

Whoops! Ok though my problem still is I didn’t know which specific file
it considers as a flat DB, since flat = multiple files (messages).

> > Surely this is a commong problem? Anyone had success?
>
> Lots of people have had success in a 1.x -> 2.x upgrade.

Well if I cant get this working I am going to install 1.6.22 on the new
machine, then copy over the 1.6.22 files from the old, and then upgrade
1.6.22 on the new to 2.1.8.

Thanks again  for your help!