problem: upgrading mailboxes from 1.6 to 2.x

t.sellmer at amro.de t.sellmer at amro.de
Fri Aug 30 02:59:23 EDT 2002

Hi,

I've got to upgrade our Cyrus Imap Server v1.6.24 to v2.0.16 or higher under Linux. First each recursive folder in the new version of /var/spool/imap/user/* got cyrus.header files with a depending unique id. I've got to take over a lot of mailboxes without this unique id's. /usr/lib/cyrus/bin/reconstruct does not function correctly. The option /usr/lib/cyrus/bin/reconstruct -m doesn't exists and with /usr/lib/cyrus/bin/reconstruct -rf I get only "mailbox does not exists" (cause username is not in the cyrus database).

If I add an user and made a connect first time, I don't see any old folders (but now the cyrus database know the user). I remove the user and add it again. Now I can do a /usr/lib/cyrus/bin/reconstruct -rf. Following I see all old folders without the subscribers flagg. The user have to subscribe the folders again. But this workflow is bullshit.

How is it possible to upgrade thousands of mailboxes from v1.6.24 to v2.0.16 (or higher)? Exactly how can I add an user and update the cyrus database at same time ? I've got written a great shell script for that work, but I got only with the cyrus database problems. All existing users are from an openldap server virtually.

Please help if possible, I already look for a very long time for a suitable solution.

cu Thomas

PS: I hope I described enough information for you. I've also read a lot of emails from the lists, but found nothing suitable.