[ECE PhiBar] Startups in the Bay

Boris Lipchin blipchin at ece.cmu.edu
Thu Mar 5 22:02:38 EST 2009

Now that conversation has turned to Jennifer, I'm going to have to tell
you guys a story.

It was Thursday night, I had left my credit card at Phi Bar the night
before, as I had used it as a tab. Upon arriving to Phi Bar and seeing
Genevieve behind the bar I made eye contact and was about to start
talking when Genevieve preempted me with a "I'm not working right now."
At which point I turned to the other bar tended to ask for my credit
card back. However, I was once more preempted by Genevieve's "Oh, did
you ever get your credit card back?" I had to tell her that I had not,
and I was in the process of doing so. She immediately awarded me
something that might have been a smile and said "Oh that's fine, I'll
get it, it's upstairs" and ran off. She came back moments later and
handed me credit card and receipt with the words "But you can't pay
tip." I was somewhat dumbfounded at this statement, but decided not to
question it, so I reached for my wallet where I knew I had my $2 in
cash, previously meant for Mountain Dew in the Hammerschlag vending
machine, but now would have to be handed over to Phi Bar if I ever want
to get drinks there again. Upon seeing my wallet Genevieve did something
that perhaps none of us expected. She, now standing on my side of the
bar, sat down, leaned on the bar sideways facing me and said "Why don't
you just buy me a drink instead, I'm not working tonight." Thunder on a
clear day rang, and I suddenly realized that it was time to make a
decision that will have serious consequences whichever way I went.
However, Heer and Many where patiently waiting outside, so my hand was
forced. "Sorry, I'm actually kind of busy, gotta run" earned a
disapproving stare that did little to improve when padded with my last
$2 (I wasn't willing to part with the $10). I quickly escaped from the
bar, and satisfied that we weren't being pursued, returned to the safety
of the cluster.

Your thoughts? This is all true by the way.

Boris