[ECE PhiBar] This is Why We Need Drink Specials

Douglas Robl drobl at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Feb 12 10:35:17 EST 2008

Hey Everyone,

We all know by now that Phi is a dive, and Genevieve is a pain in the
ass, but hey, we need drink specials because according to this, we're
not going to make all that much money in the end, comparatively of course.

Dilbert's Salary Theorem

Dilbert's "Salary Theorem" states that "Engineers and scientists can
never earn as much as business executives, sales people, accountants and
especially liberal arts majors." This theorem can now be supported by a
mathematical equation based on the following two well known postulates:

Postulate 1: Knowledge is Power.
Postulate 2: Time is Money.
As every engineer knows: Power = Work / Time.

Since: Knowledge = Power,
then Knowledge = Work / Time,
and Time = Money,
then Knowledge = Work / Money.

Solving for Money, we get: Money = Work / Knowledge.

Thus, as Knowledge approaches zero, money approaches infinity,
regardless of the amount of work done.

The correct way to handle this is to search out drink specials such as
$7 Blue Moon or Guinness pitchers.  The incorrect way is to go get a
finance job.  See you at Phi, Wednesday at 9 (Unless you were planning
on coming late, then we're meeting at 8:30).

No Kilo,
-Doug