[Disksim-users] Using Disksim

Peter Macko pmacko at eecs.harvard.edu
Sat Dec 10 01:17:54 EST 2011

Hi,

There is a very simple, yet complete, example that is directly distributed as a part of the DiskSim source code - it's src/syssim_driver.c. It shows you how you can run DiskSim from your C code and pass to it your own requests one I/O request at the time.

In short, you need to specify a .parv file (such as any one of those in the valid/ directory) and an output file when you initialize DiskSim using disksim_interface_initialize(), and then you can submit your own I/O requests using disksim_interface_request_arrive() as shown in the example. The only catch is that you would need to make additional calls to disksim_interface_internal_event(), but that's all shown in the example.

To run the example, just compile DiskSim as usual, and then you can run something like "src/syssim valid/hp_c2490a.parv output.txt 10000" from the disksim/ directory.

I hope this helps.

Best,

-Peter