[Disksim-users] The maximum throughput of disk in DiskSim

ll2 at rice.edu ll2 at rice.edu
Fri Jul 13 18:31:50 EDT 2007

Hi everyone :

Recently, I try to find the maximum throughput of a certain kind of disk.
However, for one kind of disk model, like Cheetah 9LP, which is included in
DiskSim, there are different kinds of interface for it, leading to different
inter transfer rate and different maximum throughput.

For Cheetah 9LP,
if you use SCSI interface, the maximum transfer rate is 5MB/s.
if you use Ultra2 SCSI interface, the maximum transfer rate is 40MB/s.

I did not find how I can configure the interface for the disk model. At the same
time, there are three interesting parameters which may affect the throughput of
disk :
"bulk sector transfer time" in **.diskspecs file,
"Read / Write block transfer time" of Bus in **.parv file,
"Bulk sector transfer time" of Controller in **.parv file.

I think the max of the three time will determine the maximum throughput of disk.
For example, DiskSim default set the maximum value of them is 0.1ms, so the
maximum throughput is 512B/0.1ms = 5MB/s. It seems like DiskSim simulate SCSI
interface, however, if I want to simulate the Ulrta2 SCSI interface to get
higher throughput, how I can configure it ? Just change the three time value ??

Is there anybody who has some ideas about this issue ?

Thanks a lot for your comments and suggestions !

Lanyue Lu
Rice University