[Disksim-users] Ask help on cmd line parameter overrides in disksim 3.0 ?

Xiaoyu Yao xyao at cse.unl.edu
Wed Feb 22 14:56:42 EST 2006

Hi, all

Any one has experience with disksim 3.0 command line parameter overrides? I
try to override the disksim synthetic generator parameters through command
line override interface to do a sensitivity study on RAID performance.

To be specifically, I want to vary the mean value of "General inter-arrival
times" from 10ms to 100ms.

 I know the manual has a simple example to illustrate how to adjust the disk
schedule algorithm. But the general inter-arrival time is defined as a tuple
in the parameter file. ( General inter-arrival times  = [ exponential, 0.0,
50.0  ],) I tried the following command but it does not work.

$ ../src/disksim raid1.parv out ascii 0 1 "gen0" "General inter-arrival
times" 10;

The following is the generator configuration.

 disksim_synthio Synthio {
   Number of I/O requests to generate =  50000,
   Maximum time of trace generated  =  9999999.0,
   System call/return with each request =  0,
   Think time from call to request =  0.0,
   Think time from request to return =  0.0,
   Generators = [
     disksim_synthgen gen0 { # generator 0
       Storage capacity per device  =  16448064,
       devices = [ disk3 ],
       Blocking factor =  8,
       Probability of sequential access =  0.4,
       Probability of local access =  0,
       Probability of read access =  1,
       Probability of time-critical request =  0,
       Probability of time-limited request =  0,
       Time-limited think times  = [ normal, 30.0, 100.0  ],
       General inter-arrival times  = [ exponential, 0.0, 50.0  ],
       Sequential inter-arrival times  = [ exponential, 0.0, 10.0  ],
       Local inter-arrival times  = [ exponential, 0.0, 10.0  ],
       Local distances  = [ normal, 0.0, 40000.0  ],
       Sizes  = [ exponential, 0.0, 64.0  ]
     } # end of generator 0
   ] # end of generator list
} # end of synthetic workload spec

I think there should be some methods to override this type of parameters.
Any help will be appreciated!

Xiaoyu