[DANCE] Recent DANCE activities and upcoming talk

Oliver Ferschke ferschke at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Jul 6 19:10:59 EDT 2015

Dear DANCE partners,

In this mail we would like to summarize what has recently happened around DANCE and also invite you to the upcoming talk by Marcela Borge from Penn State.

On June 9 and 10, we organized a well attended interactive event at CSCL 2015 in Gothenburg. We received a lot of great feedback from the participants that will help to shape the next steps of DANCE. Carolyn discussed some of the outcomes of the interactive event in her recent DANCE talk that you can find here [1] Furthermore, there’s a summary available in a dedicated thread of our Google group that you can find here [2]. Feel free to join in with feedback an ideas.

On our website you can now find a resource repository that collects information about current open source efforts in discussion based learning and collaboration [3]. It provides links to the sources of several edX components (XBlocks) and furthermore offers you the opportunity to test these components live on our Open edX installation. Feel free to let us know about any components you would like to see featured on this page.

We are currently developing a novel collaboration and discussion XBlock that will allow different modes of synchronous and asynchronous communication between students and the seamless integration of interventions, assessment and analytics within the edX platform. A first prototype is already finished and we expect to be able to provide a first project overview on our website soon.

Finally, we would like to invite you all to the next presentation in our DANCE talk series. On July 17, Marcela Borge from Penn State is going to talk about "Assessment and Feedback on Group Processes”. You can find more information about the talk and the speaker on this website [4]. As always, you will be able to submit questions during the talk that will be answered by the speaker after her presentation.

All the best,
Oliver and Carolyn

[1] http://dance.cs.cmu.edu/talks/talk2.html
[2] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dancecollab/Tmv889KVXZ4