Cyrus SASL Binary Distribution

Alexey Melnikov alexey.melnikov at isode.com
Sun Jul 31 21:33:14 EDT 2011

Dave McMurtrie wrote:
> On 7/24/11 10:04 AM, MateAR.eu wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We'd like to contribute a binary distribution package for Cyrus SASL
>> 2.1.23 and 2.1.24rc1 and we were told to post a message on this list. We
>> have noticed that there is no link on the below page to download an
>> installer:
>>
>> http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/docs/cyrus-sasl/2.1.23/windows.php
>>
>> The proposed distribution supports the following mechanisms:
>>
>> a) ANONYMOUS
>> b) CRAM-MD5
>> c) DIGEST-MD5
>> d) GSSAPI
>> e) LOGIN
>> f) NTLM
>> g) OTP
>> h) PLAIN
>> i) SRP
>>
>> We are committed to long term support and keeping the packages updated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> We look forward to hearing from you soon.
> Hi Sergio,
>
> Please allow me to apologize.  When you initially contacted me
> off-list, you probably told me you were interested in providing a
> binary distribution and I probably missed that.  When I saw that you
> were suggesting to add a link to the
> docs/cyrus-sasl/2.1.23/windows.php page, I mentioned to you that these
> pages aren't part of the mediawiki installation, but rather they're
> generated from the /docs directory of the cyrus-sasl download
> tarball.  That's why I then suggested you send a documentation patch
> to the cyrus-sasl list.
>
> Now that I finally understand what you're offering, hopefully I can
> get this resolved.
>
> I think it might make more sense to put your link at
> http://www.cyrussasl.org/mediawiki/index.php/Downloads#SASL_Library
> since that's where folks looking to download Cyrus SASL would be
> looking.  If you agree, you already have a MediaWiki account that
> would allow you to add the link there now.
>
> I see that you subscribed to the cyrus-sasl mailing list, and I would
> like to see you remain subscribed such that you may answer any
> questions about your distribution.
>
> Finally, I also cc'd Alexey Melnikov, Dan White and Ken Murchison on
> this message.  They're the folks who probably care the most about
> Cyrus SASL at this point.  From my perspective, I want to get as many
> folks on board to assist with Project Cyrus as possible and I welcome
> your contribution.  I wanted to make sure nobody else has any issues
> with you providing a binary distro, though.  Anyone?  Do you guys
> agree with where to put the download link?  Should we host the binary
> distro files somewhere on cyrussasl.org, or is an external link
> sufficient?
I think an external link is sufficient for now. (and I am glad that
Sergio is offering to help.) I would like to know a bit more about how
the packages are built on Windows, considering that there is a
dependency on OpenSSL, SleepyCat, Kerberos V5, etc. I.e. which versions
of third party libraries were used and how such libraries were built.