Cyrus SASL Binary Distribution

Dave McMurtrie dave64 at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Jul 24 12:23:57 EDT 2011

On 7/24/11 10:04 AM, MateAR.eu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We'd like to contribute a binary distribution package for Cyrus SASL
> 2.1.23 and 2.1.24rc1 and we were told to post a message on this list. We
> have noticed that there is no link on the below page to download an
> installer:
>
> http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/docs/cyrus-sasl/2.1.23/windows.php
>
> The proposed distribution supports the following mechanisms:
>
> a) ANONYMOUS
> b) CRAM-MD5
> c) DIGEST-MD5
> d) GSSAPI
> e) LOGIN
> f) NTLM
> g) OTP
> h) PLAIN
> i) SRP
>
> We are committed to long term support and keeping the packages updated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Hi Sergio,

Please allow me to apologize.  When you initially contacted me off-list,
you probably told me you were interested in providing a binary
distribution and I probably missed that.  When I saw that you were
suggesting to add a link to the docs/cyrus-sasl/2.1.23/windows.php page,
I mentioned to you that these pages aren't part of the mediawiki
installation, but rather they're generated from the /docs directory of
the cyrus-sasl download tarball.  That's why I then suggested you send a
documentation patch to the cyrus-sasl list.

Now that I finally understand what you're offering, hopefully I can get
this resolved.

I think it might make more sense to put your link at
http://www.cyrussasl.org/mediawiki/index.php/Downloads#SASL_Library
since that's where folks looking to download Cyrus SASL would be
looking.  If you agree, you already have a MediaWiki account that would
allow you to add the link there now.

I see that you subscribed to the cyrus-sasl mailing list, and I would
like to see you remain subscribed such that you may answer any questions
about your distribution.

Finally, I also cc'd Alexey Melnikov, Dan White and Ken Murchison on
this message.  They're the folks who probably care the most about Cyrus
SASL at this point.  From my perspective, I want to get as many folks on
board to assist with Project Cyrus as possible and I welcome your
contribution.  I wanted to make sure nobody else has any issues with you
providing a binary distro, though.  Anyone?  Do you guys agree with
where to put the download link?  Should we host the binary distro files
somewhere on cyrussasl.org, or is an external link sufficient?

Thanks!

Dave