Can't use cyradm with user cyrus

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Mon Apr 26 02:40:46 EDT 2010

On 23/04/10 16:48 +0200, Raimund Eimann wrote:
>cyrus at box:~> cyradm --user cyrus --auth login --server localhost
>IMAP Password:
>              Login failed: authentication failure at
>/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0/i586-linux-thread-multi/Cyrus/IMAP/Admin.pm
>line 119
>cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with login as cyrus

'--server' is not a valid option for version 2.3.16. Use:

cyradm --user cyrus --auth login localhost

>I use sasldb2 for authentication, and I have added cyrus into the saslsb
>using:
>
>  saslpasswd2 -c cyrus -u localhost

saslpasswd2 -c cyrus

works for me.

>Not knowing what the first password might be, I set a password using
>passwd in /etc/shadow for the user cyrus, but even hacking in this does
>not
>help anything.

saslauthd can be used to verify against /etc/shadow, but:

sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop

won't.

>admins: cyrus root
>allowanonymouslogin: no
>allowplaintext: yes
>sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop
>sasl_mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN
>
>Can someone here tell me what I am doing wrong? I have search the web for

Check your syslog, or where your auth facility is getting logged. You can
configure your syslog daemon to log 'auth.debug' and then set
'sasl_log_level: 7' within imapd.conf to log sasl debugging messages.

Use pluginviewer/saslpluginviewer to verify that you have the PLAIN
and LOGIN mechanisms and the sasldb auxprop installed correctly.

--
Dan White