Please - correct me if I'm wrong - auxprop sasldb versus saslauthd sasldb

Sascha Vogt cyradm at papa.at
Sun Aug 24 16:19:53 EDT 2008

Hi List!

Should those two /usr/lib/sasl2/Sendmail.conf files do the same or not?

-------------------Sendmail.conf variant 1-----------------------------
pwcheck_method: saslauthd
mech_list: login plain
Together with that, saslauthd ist started with "-a sasldb".

------------------Sendmail.conf variant 2------------------------------
pw_check_method: auxprop
auxprop_plugin: sasldb
mech_list: login plain
With that, saslauthd can stay asleep.

As far as I understand, both should authenticate against users in
/etc/sasldb2 and provide the same mechanisms.

I'm asking becaus on my Debian Etch 4.0r4a (stable) variant 1 works, but
variant 2 doesn't and I dont know why. But I want to offer CRAM-MD5 and
DIGEST-MD5 too and this is AFAIK only possible with variant 2.

Thanks for your time.

Sascha