Cyrus-SASL 2.1.22 DIGEST-MD5 and RFC2831

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Jan 31 11:11:16 EST 2007

On Wed Jan 31 16:04:58 2007, Andreas Winkelmann wrote:
> Yes, exactly. I understand the RFC so, that the realm in step2
> (Client->Server) is arbitrary. The Client can send each Realm that
> it likes and does not have to select one of the Realms that the
> Server sends in Step1. It can select one of the Realms from the
> Server, but it does not have to.

No, the server can only support certain realms, and advertises a
subset of those.

The client can only use a supported realm on the server, but it might
not be one that's advertised.

In Cyrus SASL, all realms are advertised, therefore there are no
legal realms the client could choose which are not in the server's
message.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/