Problem with Cyrus-SASL with auxprop-mysql and Postfix

Jens Mittag thomas-moore at gmx.net
Sat Feb 10 17:44:10 EST 2007

Hi!

I know this has been discussed often enough, but though I've read a lot of postings about this topic I can not solve it...

I've set set debug levels to the maximum values possible (for both postfix and SASL) and get the following error (which is not very helpful to me):

postfix/smtpd[5036]: Read 49 chars: AUTH PLAIN AG0wMHJlZGJpQG0wMHJlLmRlADVta
postfix/smtpd[5036]: warning: SASL authentication failure: Password verification failed
m00re postfix/smtpd[5036]: warning: unknown[62.214.237.110]: SASL PLAIN authentication failed
m00re postfix/smtpd[5036]: Write 34 chars: 535 Error: authentication failed??

My smtpd.conf looks like:

log_level: 7
pwcheck_method: auxprop
auxprop_plugin: sql
mech_list: plain login
sql_engine: mysql
sql_hostnames: 127.0.0.1
sql_user: postfix
sql_passwd: passwort
sql_database: postfix
sql_select: select password from mailbox where username='%u@%r'

At first I thought the sql_select is wrong, but unfortunately, SASL does not connect to MySQL at all. What could cause this?

My system is Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (means I have version 2.1.19.dfsg1-0.1ubuntu2 installed).

Besides doing the auxprop approach I also tried authdaemond, but with no success either. I have already switched from a chrooted postfix to normal operation, but I still get

postfix/smtpd[23588]: warning: SASL authentication failure: cannot connect to Courier authdaemond: No such file or directory

The smtpd.conf I used for this approach is:

pwcheck_method: authdaemond
log_level: 7
mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN
authdaemond_path: /var/run/courier/authdaemon/socket

The socket file exists and is readable by the user postfix... whats wrong?

Hopefully, someone can help me.

cheers
 Jens
Jetzt GMX TopMail testen: www.gmx.net/de/go/mailfooter/topmail-out