SASL over LDAP don't work

Howard Chu hyc at highlandsun.com
Tue Dec 11 02:19:01 EST 2007

Guus Leeuw jr. wrote:
> Y’ello,
>
> First of all, make sure to read the LDAP Admin Guide at www.openldap.org
> <http://www.openldap.org>!

Always good advice, yes.

> Then, make sure to double check with Turbo’s KRB + SASL + OpenLDAP Howto
> at www.bayour.com <http://www.bayour.com>. (Forget about the KRB stuff
> there, he’s got some very good hints at testing the security install etc.)

Obsolete.

> As a general rule, you don’t want LDAP to be your password database,
> instead you want LDAP to use SASL to connect to something more useful
> like Kerberos or RADIUS or a combination or something else. This is
> simply because LDAP is not meant to be a password database, but rather
> an information store (as in: the telephone book in your country doesn’t
> list the PIN code for the people’s bank cards...).

"An information store" can store passwords as well as anything else. Given
that frequently Kerberos KDCs and RADIUS servers store their info in LDAP, I
don't think the above point is valid.

> If all else fails, you can always post the exact error you are getting,
> increase debug levels all over the place, and make sure to cut and paste
> the relevant log entries to the mailing list. A query akin your own
> query will not necessarily give any useful hints to other people as to
> why things would fail in your particular situation.

In this case he needs to read the Cyrus SASL docs more closely, or pay more
attention to what he's typing. "auxprop_plugin: ldap" is not the same as
"auxprop_plugin: ldapdb". He's mixing the docs/configs for two completely
different LDAP mechanisms.

--
   -- Howard Chu