SASL over LDAP don't work

Guus Leeuw jr. guus.leeuw at guusleeuwit.com
Tue Dec 11 01:56:45 EST 2007

Y'ello,

First of all, make sure to read the LDAP Admin Guide at www.openldap.org!

Then, make sure to double check with Turbo's KRB + SASL + OpenLDAP Howto at
www.bayour.com. (Forget about the KRB stuff there, he's got some very good
hints at testing the security install etc.)

As a general rule, you don't want LDAP to be your password database, instead
you want LDAP to use SASL to connect to something more useful like Kerberos
or RADIUS or a combination or something else. This is simply because LDAP is
not meant to be a password database, but rather an information store (as in:
the telephone book in your country doesn't list the PIN code for the
people's bank cards...).

If all else fails, you can always post the exact error you are getting,
increase debug levels all over the place, and make sure to cut and paste the
relevant log entries to the mailing list. A query akin your own query will
not necessarily give any useful hints to other people as to why things would
fail in your particular situation.

Regards,

Guus