How to build SASL from CVS

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 12:19:30 EDT 2007

On 4/19/07, Biswatosh <biswatosh2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I would like to know the exact process of building the
> tar.gz files for CMUSASL, which we ftp download and
> use.

I don't know the cmu procedure, but have some general guidelines for
using the autotools.

> I guess u build it on the cvs checkout of sasl module.

Most projects provide a script called autogen.sh at the top level that
will run the autotools in the correct way. This isn't distributed with
the tarball. In the case of cyrus-sasl, it sounds like you have to
make sure aclocal includes the macros in cmulocal and config.
Otherwise, it looks generally straightforward.

> And probably, u must be using the GNU auto tools for
> it,like autoheader,autoconf,automake etc.

In general, the command autoreconf (comes with autoconf) will figure
out everything to be done and you don't have to run all the commands
yourself. This just worked for me on Linux using the most recent
versions of all the autotools:

$ ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I cmulocal -I config" autoreconf -i

> I did the
> same after cvs checkout and could do it smoothly on
> Linux but
> on solairs it gave some problems.

What are the problems?

> Also, on linux, I
> had to use an older version of automake(1.8.3) and not
> the latest as the latest one complained on GNU make
> extensions in some
> files.

That's OK. They're just warnings that you're using GNU make
extensions, which aren't portable to other makes. It just means that
you have to use GNU make when building cyrus-sasl, which is probably
the case anyway. Lots of other popular projects use the GNU make
extensions.

> So, as I see it,the process is not still very
> clean and clearly documented.

It would be nice to put a script in CVS to generate the autotools at
the top level of the module. Most, if not all, autotooled projects do
this. I could send an example if people here are open to that.

--
Dan