SASL and MySQL: It just ain't working

Mr Havercamp mrhavercamp at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 20:16:13 EDT 2006

Hi all

I am trying to install and configure cyrus-sasl but no matter what I
try, I cannot get mysql support working. I have scoured the web for a
solution but nothing has turned up and I have even applied the changes
to configure suggested by Eric B. and still nothing.

If I attempt to send a message via Postfix I get;

Oct  3 11:21:15 lacy postfix/smtpd[16499]: SQL engine 'mysql' not supported
Oct  3 11:21:15 lacy postfix/smtpd[16499]: auxpropfunc error no
mechanism available

in /var/log/messages and if I run sasl2-shared-mechlist I see;

Oct  3 11:21:51 lacy sasl2-shared-mechlist: unable to dlopen
/usr/lib/sasl2/libsql.so.2: /usr/lib/sasl2/libsql.so.2: undefined
symbol: log

Does this mean sasl is not even linking to the MySQL libraries?

My smtpd.conf file looks like;

pwcheck_method: auxprop

auxprop_plugin: sql
mech_list: LOGIN PLAIN
sql_engine: mysql
sql_hostnames: localhost
sql_user: mailadmin
sql_passwd: password
sql_database: mail
sql_select: select clear from postfix_users where email='%u@%r' and
smtpaccess='Y'
sql_verbose: yes

If I change sql_engine: to pgsql the "SQL Engine... not supported"
errors go away so I'm guessing there is a problem between cyrus-sasl and
mysql only.

I'm new to setting up mail servers but I'm pretty sure everything else
has been correctly set up as everything runs fine if I don't use SASL
(i.e. I can happily send and receive mail via my server).

I am using MySQL 5.0.22 and PostFix 2.3.