Sample server fails to bind to IPv4 address

Hajimu UMEMOTO ume at mahoroba.org
Mon Mar 20 03:02:37 EST 2006

Hi,

>>>>> On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 02:28:40 +0100
>>>>> "Michael O'Rourke" <orourke.michael at gmail.com> said:

orourke> bind: Address already in use

The server tries to bind to :: (IPv6), then tries to bind to 0.0.0.0.
It seems that your system doesn't support binding to only IPv6.  In
such case, the server bind to :: and accept an IPv4 as an IPv4-mapped
IPv6 address.  So, this message is hermless.  When the server acutally
cannot bind, you'll see "Couldn't bind to any socket".
I think we can comment the following line out safely:

            perror("bind");

orourke> When I am testing on the local machine, there is no problem as the
orourke> client and server will use the IPv6 address it decided to bind to.

orourke> My problem is with getting a Solaris 9 machine to authenticate to the
orourke> SuSE 10.0 machine (and vice-versa) and I can not use IPv6 between
orourke> these two machines.

I believe you can connect to SuSE 10.0 machine with an IPv4 address
which the machine has.

Sincerely,

ume at mahoroba.org  ume@{,jp.}FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/