Attempting to build fat binary on Mac OS X

Matt Ronge mronge at theronge.com
Tue Jul 18 05:06:32 EDT 2006

I'm trying to build Cyrus-SASL on Mac OS X as a fat binary, both i386
and PPC. The approach I've been trying is to build it as PPC (which
is the machine I'm building on), move the build results to a PPC
directory and then do a distclean. Next I try and get it to build as
i386 but I always get an error, because it appears as though it
creates a bootstrap program which it uses to build itself. If i386
did build, then I'd combine PPC and i386 into the same lib. Here is
the command I run to build as i386:

./configure --disable-gssapi CFLAGS="-isysroot /Developer/SDKs/
MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch i386" --host 386bsd

Here is the error I get:

/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link gcc  -Wall -W -isysroot /Developer/
SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch i386   -o makemd5  makemd5.o  -lresolv  -lpam
mkdir .libs
gcc -Wall -W -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch i386 -o
makemd5 makemd5.o -lresolv -lpam
rm -f md5global.h
./makemd5 md5global.h
./makemd5: ./makemd5: cannot execute binary file
make[2]: *** [md5global.h] Error 126
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

I've tried all sorts of variations on --host --target --build, I
either end up with a PPC executable when I want a i386 or it fails to
build. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Any thoughts on an
alternative way to do this?

Thanks in advance,
--
Matt