guide to migrating to virtdomains: userid

Ricardo Signes rjbs at fastmailteam.com
Tue Jan 14 21:18:47 EST 2020

We have documented that we wish to discourage settings for userid other than virtdomains. In discussion earlier today, ellie and I chatted about the fact that 3.2 is a good time to take *some* action in that regard.

I think I have a question and a request for volunteer.

*QUESTION:* Do we have an established policy for how features are deprecated and removed? For example, if we can make a backward incompatible change in Cyrus X.Y.0, how long in advance do we need to provide notice, and via what means?

In this case, the very least we can do is add it to the documentation. The second-to-least thing we can do is issue a warning when a deprecated setting is found, even if we don't have a timetable for removal.

*REQUEST*: We want people to change from virtdomains:X to virtdomains:userid for all non-userid values of X. It would be a kindness to provide a migration guide. Is anyone competent to write such a guide? (My eye is drawn to one Bron Gondwana, but perhaps he migrated his user base so long ago that all his wisdom on that topic has since been replaced by new wisdom.)

--
Ricardo Signes (rjbs)
CTO, Fastmail