Best practices for cyrus-sasl development

Quanah Gibson-Mount quanah at symas.com
Tue Feb 18 13:42:59 EST 2020

--On Tuesday, February 18, 2020 12:59 PM -0500 Ken Murchison
<murch at fastmail.com> wrote:

> I can tell you that 2.1.27 was built from master.  The 2.1 branch might
> have been created in anticipation of master becoming the dev branch for
> 2.2, but I don't know that for certain.

Looking at the branches in git, I don't think the 2.1 branch was created
for 2.2 development.  In fact, looking at the git history, you can see that
the cyrus-sasl-2.1 branch was used for creating releases in the 2.1 series
up until 2.1.25:

commit 89173b72832d668f74d820bd19d9b66f3578cf21 (tag: cyrus-sasl-2.1.25)
Author: Ken Murchison <murch at andrew.cmu.edu>
Date:   Wed Sep 7 16:09:40 2011 +0000

    Fixed 3 memory leaks in SCRAM

However, the two releases after that point abandoned the 2.1 release branch
for unknown reasons.  It is of course quite common for there to be a
release branch and then have master be the development branch.  I'm unclear
why the cyrus-sasl project veered away from this.

This generally leaves me unsure of where to go forward here.  I personally
am not fond of cutting releases off of development branches.  Do we want to
sync the 2.1 branch up with master, and then go back to using it for
releases, and keeping master for development (and potentially cut a 2.2
branch from it at some point, assuming there's ever that level of
devlopment) ?  Do we just abandoned the idea of having a release branch and
future feature development, and use master for everything? etc.

Regards,
Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount