Does squatter retry on transient errors (xapian)?

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmailteam.com
Tue May 21 08:10:17 EDT 2019

On Tue, May 21, 2019, at 18:56, Dilyan Palauzov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> https://fastmail.blog/2014/12/01/email-search-system/ says:
>
> The process is as follows:
> 5. if the xapianactive file has changed, discard all our work (we lock
> against this, but it's a sanity check) and exit
>
> Does squatter exit with an error message in this case, and has to be
> started again, or does it retry automatically, until it successes?

No, it just keeps going. It will syslog something about the failure, but a compact failure is generally considered to be not a bad thing.

> What means “indexing”? -T can be passed to squatter only in compact
> mode, and is a directory for temporary files. But the documentation
> says, this directory is used when “indexing”. How big is the data
> stored there? Lets say if tier A allocates K MB for its data, and
> tier B allocates L MB for the data, is during compacting of A and B
> approximately K+L MBs used in the temporary directory?

It doesn't work like that - you don't allocate a particular amount of space for each tier. The space used in -T during a single compact is roughly the sum of the database sizes of the databases which are being compacted together. I expect the documentation could be made more clear here.

 Bron Gondwana, CEO, FastMail Pty Ltd
 brong at fastmailteam.com