Notes 11 March

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmailteam.com
Mon Mar 11 07:41:12 EDT 2019

Present: Ken, Robert, Bron

Ken:
* wrote a CGI module for HTTP in Cyrus
* got all the drafts updated for IETF
* facility with eventsource to give a state token at the end of streaming events. Do we want similar mechanism for push over websockets?
 - might have to be optional, some servers might not have a way to do a token for the user.
 - open issue to discuss at Prague
* did some http refactoring in the code to make it easier to maintain.
* found at least one thing in JMAP spec we haven't done - making settings response non-cacheable.
* shareWith will be this week

Robert:
* partially on sick leave last week.
* worked on JSContact and JSCalendar drafts for IETF.
 - haven't received substantial feedback yet, but may get more at IETF.
* landed multi-language support on fastmailtest.com last week.
* next step - maybe use additional timing information to collect data for current setup, then start collecting performance data for new setup.
* implemented Blob/get
* now focusing on attachment search indexing code - planning to support http based backend for text extraction with blocking requests.
* could imaging defining a configurable parallel implementation - ship multiple to backend at the same time.
 - not sure if it's worth it, but might be!
* sidetracked by issue from github - QP encoding -> we are splitting illegally within UTF-8 words. Can't reproduce that, but we do overrun the hard limit of 76 characters! Making that more RFC compliant. Current code never breaks within
UTF8, but keeps going on that line rather than wrapping early.
* Next: annotations topics -> will look through existing github issues.

Bron:
* Email from Michael Menge - making conversations DB easier for people to use / understand / manage.
 - should document how the tools work better
 - and document when it's needed!
 - split into two bits: conversations part and "reverse lookup" part.
 - make the core part non-optional.
* maybe split all "per-user" databases into two files: one being master data and one being cache.
* issue with sqlite and modseqs seen in the wild - still not yet debugged.
 - debugged LIVE on the call! We need to use sqlite3_column_int64 for the modseq fields!

Next week, same time. Week after will clash with IETF.

--
 Bron Gondwana, CEO, FastMail Pty Ltd
 brong at fastmailteam.com