Future of Cyrus-SASL

jan parcel jan.parcel at oracle.com
Wed Jul 12 19:40:05 EDT 2017

On problem I have is that people in imap development seem to say (and,
on the web, too) that cyrus-sasl means imap, leaving cyrus-? to mean
libsasl?

Other than that....

I cannot volunteer as a regular contributor because my  regular job uses
up all my time.  However, company policy requires us to send "upstream"
all relevant bug fixes we create, and to file bugs we find to upstream
regardless of whether or not we need to fix them -- for instance,  I
might never fix the bug with  failing to exclude ldapdb when so
configured,  unless a customer demands that plugin, which I suspect will
not happen.    We are also required to SECRETLY and SECURELY report
security bugs upstream.

Company policy definitely encourages us to have a relationship with
upstream developers.

But I'm also in the U.S. west coast timezone (Pacific Time) and 4am is
not doable for me except in extreme emergencies (such as a high-scoring
CVE that needs immediate attention, for instance.)

So,  I don't quite know what you will find acceptable in the way of
participation from me, but I want to be cooperative to a libsasl
community and contribute where I can, and participate if there are
meetings that I can reasonably attend.  I'd say times between 6:00 AM -
1AM would be doable.

And if the libsasl project were to lose all upstream support, I would be
required to report that to my management, and abide by any decisions
they make wrt whether to look for a supported alternative.

sendmail can also profitably use libsasl2.

So, thanks for including me in this thread.

Jan Parcel
Software Developer
Oracle Systems Server & Cloud Engineering