Future of Cyrus-SASL

Quanah Gibson-Mount quanah at symas.com
Wed Jul 12 19:09:39 EDT 2017

Hi all,

I started a small discussion on this in cyrus-sasl issue #433, but the
discussion better belongs here. :)

While I know that Fastmail is taking on the Cyrus-IMAPD project now that
CMU is divesting itself of it, there does not seem to be a strong plan
around Cyrus-SASL.  My general understanding is that it is not something
that Fastmail generally uses.  However, there are many other projects where
cyrus-sasl is a critical part of the software.

Those include:
OpenLDAP
Postfix
Apache2 (Sasl module)
SSSD
autofs (ldap integration)
Squid proxy
qemu
memcached
Exim
PHP
mutt
389 directory server
subversion

It has been 5 years since the last release of Cyrus-SASL, and unfortunately
it had a number of bugs.  There have been a large number of patches sent to
the list in that time, as well as some 142 issues on the Github site (hard
to know full correlation at this time).  There has been some work towards a
2.1.27, but it seem stalled at this time.

I'm not sure if keeping SASL tied to the IMAPD project makes particular
sense anymore, given the overall changes that have occurred.  Regardless of
that particular question, the SASL project needs a dedicated development
team to start churning through what has come in via the list in the last
few years, as well as what's in github.

Generally, for the path going forward, perhaps an inquiry to the cyrus-sasl
list to see if there are individuals willing to commit/join the SASL
project?  I certainly would be willing to help with the release engineering
portion, as I do for the OpenLDAP and Heimdal projects.

I look forward to hearing people's thoughts.

Warm regards,
Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount