State of Perl scripts in tools, esp. in re: hash

Nic Bernstein nic at onlight.com
Thu Jan 12 14:08:59 EST 2017

Folks,
I've been working on an upgrade from 2.4.18 to 3.0.0rc1, and
simultaneously adding to Nicola's fine Upgrading document.  Along the
way, however, I've encountered several anomalies with the wide
assortment of Perl scripts accumulated in cyrus-imapd/tools. There's a
lot of them, they often overlap and sometimes don't inter-operate.

For example, 'rehash' understands the 'fulldirhash' setting, but
'dohash' does not.  Furthermore, that setting, when processed by
'rehash', results in directories named "A" - "Z", but most of the other
tools, such as 'translatesieve' or 'upgradesieve' (why so many?)
explicitly expect these to be lower cased, "a" - "z":

    foreach $i ("a".."z") {

and so ignore the fulldirhash-ed directories.

Also, most of the Perl scripts still have this sort of baggage:

    exec perl -x -S $0 ${1+"$@"} # -*-perl-*-
    if ($] !~ /^5\..*/) {
       # uh-oh. this isn't perl 5.
       foreach (split(/:/, $ENV{PATH})) { # try to find "perl5".
         exec("$_/perl5", "-x", "-S", $0, @ARGV) if (-x "$_/perl5");
       }
       # we failed. bail.
       die "Your perl is too old; I need perl 5.\n";
    }

    # load the real script. this is isolated in an 'eval' so perl4 won't
    # choke on the perl5-isms.
    eval join("\n", <DATA>);
    if ($@) { die "$@"; }

    __END__
    require 5;

Given that Perl5 was released over twenty years ago, do we really need
this, as opposed to say, "#!/usr/bin/perl -w"?  Hell, we could even
parameterize that and substitute with @PERL@?

Just asking, because one needs a tool such as translatesieve to handle
the transition to ``unixhierarchysep: yes'', and as it sits, that tool
won't work.  I'm happy to fix it, but would like guidance on how far to go.

Cheers,
     -nic

Nic Bernstein                             nic at onlight.com
Onlight, Inc.                             www.onlight.com
6525 W Bluemound Road, Suite 24           v. 414.272.4477
Milwaukee, Wisconsin  53213-4073