Query re. 'private' vs. 'shared' annotations...

ellie timoney ellie at fastmail.com
Thu Feb 16 20:07:17 EST 2017

I'm speculating a bit here, so take this with a grain of salt...

My understanding of private annotations is that that apply (/ are
visible) only to the user that added them (regardless of who else has
access to the mailbox), whereas shared annotations apply (/ are visible)
to everyone who has appropriate access to the mailbox.

I think when you look at those mailboxes with cyradm, the "private"
annotations you're seeing are the ones private to the admin user you
authenticated to cyradm as.  Which would mean there may be other private
annotations set by other users (such as the mailbox owner, or some other
admin) that you're not seeing?

But, for the purposes of expiry, cyr_expire runs as an admin user, so I
think it's not going to see various users own private annotations, which
means in order for expiry to work the shared expire annotation seems
like the important one to set.

So: those annotations look like they'll be fine to me.  But I'm not
certain, so I'd suggest keeping an eye on it and seeing what happens --
at least in absence of input from someone who's used this in practice!

Cheers,

ellie