Cyrus Sieve futures

Ken Murchison murch at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Feb 6 17:34:20 EST 2017

All,

I'm in the process of rewriting the Sieve parser and adding new
extensions for what will become part of Cyrus v3.1.  We currently
support deprecated and non-standardized extensions "imapflags"
(standardized as "imap4flags) and "notify" (standardized as "enotify").
I'd like to rip out the parser and bytecode generator for these
extensions, and leave just the bytecode executing code for the
deprecated actions "mark", "unmark", and "denotify".

Any existing scripts using these actions (or the older "notify" syntax)
would continue to run.  New/updated scripts would have to switch to
using the updated "notify" syntax and replace "mark" and "unmark" with
"setflag"/"addflag" and "removeflag".  Does anyone have an issue with
these changes?

Does anyone have any requests for standard extensions that we don't
currently support?  Note that "variables", "mailbox" and "*metadata"
will be in Cyrus 3.0 and "ereject", "editheader", and "extlists" are
already in what will be the 3.1 branch.

Extensions that I'm looking at implementing (pretty much because they
are low-hanging fruit) are "duplicate", "environment", and "ihave".  I
may also look at "replace" and "extracttext" which would be useful if we
add handling of calendar events to Sieve.

--

Kenneth Murchison
Principal Systems Software Engineer