Sophia database => fail

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Sat Jun 18 17:55:55 EDT 2016

On Sun, Jun 19, 2016, at 07:49, Howard Chu wrote:
> Bron Gondwana via Cyrus-devel wrote:
> > So I wrote a backend for this thing:
> >
> > http://sophia.systems/
>
> Sorry you wasted your time. Even if you got that thing to "behave" as you
> intended, it would have crashed on you anyway.
>
> https://github.com/pmwkaa/sophia/issues/54
> https://github.com/pmwkaa/sophia/issues/53
>
> Actually, just look at all of the open issues on that repo. These folks have
> No Clue what they are doing.
>
> It's a sick joke, not a usable database library.

Hah, right.  It's hard to tell because their coding style is so minimalist - short variable names, no comments.  Good to know not to spend any more time on it.

>    -- Howard Chu
>    CTO, Symas Corp.           http://www.symas.com

So you'll be happy to know that lmdb is on my list of things to integrate and try as well :)

I've also been looking at Rocks DB.  Unfortunately their C wrapper (it's C++) doesn't seem to include the transaction support, so I'll have to either extend it or write my own.

One major goal here, and the reason I'm looking at multi-level databases in particular, is the ability to have most of the unchanging data uploaded to an object store, and only need to push a small log file each time something changes.

  brong at fastmail.fm