Release once per month whether we need to or not

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Fri Apr 8 20:15:41 EDT 2016

So we have a problem.  Our releases are rare, massive (and hence major changes!) and nobody knows how to do them reliably because it's been too long.

We're planning to release the next 3.0 beta and the next 2.5 stable on Monday.  After that I want us to commit to the following:

* release a beta at least once per month
* release a stable at least once every 3 months

If we've got no changes, well - it's just a new release number with no changes - should be simple to cut!  Or we could go pick a small bug from bugzilla/phabricator, write a test, ship it.

This will give us an easier job of actually releasing.  After all, practice makes perfect, and we're far from perfect at releasing right now!

  brong at fastmail.fm