Cyrus Documentation tools

ellie timoney ellie at fastmail.com
Thu May 14 19:54:40 EDT 2015

My experience as a user of projects documented with Doxygen is that
their documentation is usually incredibly rich and generally unhelpful.
I don't know whether it's a failure of the documentation writer or one
of the documentation software (or some combination thereof, or etc), but
in my experience Doxygen docs seem to often wind up in a weird space
where they're incredibly detailed if you already know how to use the
software, but rather impenetrable if you're starting from scratch.

If we pursue Doxygen we should be careful to not fall into a
similar trap.

On Wed, May 13, 2015, at 05:24 PM, Chris Davies wrote:
> Adding the Cyrus mailing list as I can't remember who the other
> documentation person is.
>
> Do you think something like Doxygen[1] would be of use for the Cyrus
> project? it can generate HTML docs and man pages. I haven't downloaded
> it yet but it claims to do what we need.
>
> Chris
>

> On Wed, 13 May 2015, at 05:08 PM, Chris Davies wrote:
>> Just trying to figure out how Cyrus works and exploring the
>> admin tools:
>>>
>>> https://docs.cyrus.foundation/imap/admin.html
>>>
>>> "The ctl_deliver program outputs a list of files and/or directories
>>> that it expects to exist, but that in fact do not."
>>>
>>> "The ctl_mboxlist program outputs a list of files and/or directories
>>> that it expects to exist, but that in fact do not."
>>>
>>> "The cvt_cyrusdb program outputs a list of files and/or directories
>>> that it expects to exist, but that in fact do not."
>>>
>>> "The cyr_dbtool program outputs a list of files and/or directories
>>> that it expects to exist, but that in fact do not." Any
>>>
>> Bron, Who was the other person working on documentation?
>>
>> Chris

Links:

  1. http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/index.html