Documentation on "Other" Linux Distros

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Mon Mar 9 15:40:14 EDT 2015

Hi there,

Please pardon the cross-posting, but I'm going to need as broad an
audience I can get.

My personal corner of the universe is squarely within the RPM(4) based
systems on this globe, and as such I've written up the bare necessities
to get from a "yum install" to a successful IMAP login:

https://docs.cyrus.foundation/imap/installation/distributions/centos.html

Some of you will have noticed that Linux distros like Debian, Ubuntu and
openSUSE have not (at all) been documented to the same "standard" (I use
this term loosely).

The same, in fact, goes for the DIY installation guide [1] (where all
dependency names are RPM(4)-based platform package names) and the custom
version guide(s) for each platform -- as well as the hints for packagers
for that matter.

I would like to not be as ignorant as I seem, and therefore I'm asking
for your help in composing the notes on what is necessary to get from an
apt-get or zypper install to a successful IMAP login for your favourite
platform -- including those not currently listed.

I'll take anything from a few scribbles on the mailing-list to a patch
review in Phabricator, and I think the CentOS/RHEL guide is quite that
bare minimum effort we're looking to document (based on the current
codebase).

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen