Cannot "STORE 1 +FLAGS (\Seen)"

Conrad Kleinespel conradk at conradk.com
Wed Jul 15 16:59:13 EDT 2015

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to fix T171 (https://git.cyrus.foundation/T171): "Missing
event notifications for shared folders".

As part of that, I'm looking to manually set a shared message as \Seen
by a user. While I have made progress in understanding how notifications
work inside Cyrus and how to create shared mailboxes, I'm stuck: I don't
understand how to set a message as \Seen.

Here's what I've tried:
- I logged in as an admin with the "LOGIN" command,
- I set ACL for myself to be very permissive,
- I SEARCH'ed for "UNSEEN" messages, which listed "1" through "7",
because I sent myself 7 test messages.

Here's a small output taken from telnet:
. MYRIGHTS user.john
* MYRIGHTS user.john lrswipkxtecda
. OK Completed
. MYRIGHTS shared.example
* MYRIGHTS shared.example lrswipkxtecda
. OK Completed
. store 1 +FLAGS (\Seen)
. NO Permission denied
. list "" "*"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." user.john
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." shared.example

It seems like I have correctly SELECT'ed the "user.john" mailbox. It
seems I have rights "ws" as needed to call STORE. However, I'm getting
"Permissions denied" when changing the \Seen flag on message "1", which
does exist.

What am I doing wrong ? Am I misunderstanding the outputs of the
commands from the output above ?

I would appreciate any help, hint or tip you can give.

Best regards,

Conrad Kleinespel
conradk at conradk.com
+33 6 23 82 42 79